Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Something New for March: Yoga!

I have totally slacked on resolution #1 in the last month, so I should issue some sort of "IOU" in the form of pounds.  I actually gained weight, but after realizing yesterday night that I weigh more than ever before in my life, I remembered my inspiration.  I have also recently found new inspiration- two weddings in June, plus a trip back home to visit family.  It's time to get my butt back into gear!

To show my renewed dedication, I woke up this morning and got dressed for the gym.  I printed the Groupon I bought in late January and drove myself to the studio after checking the schedule.  Once I arrived, although shy and a little embarrassed, I explained that I was "new" and they showed me around the studio.  I have never done Bikram, so I asked for Vinyasa thinking it would be a piece of cake- HA!

About five years and 80 pounds ago, I did yoga two to three times a week at my gym.  They were the kind of classes that played that crazy spiritual music that usually puts you to sleep at the end... Wind chimes, flutes, etc.  Eventually, I started attending the "advanced" classes and considered myself to be pretty good.  I found it to be challenging, yet relaxing.  Today I walked into the studio expecting this same skill level...  Sigh. 

Unfortunately although I attempted the full version of every pose, I was constantly looking around with a bewildered look on my face while sweating profusely.  I was not a thing of beauty, grace, tranquility, or whatever.  I was an inflexible, sloppy mess!  I had never sweat so much during yoga, but it was a 90 minute session and at the end, the instructor apologized for the heat because it was over 90 degrees in the room. 

I was reminded of my least favorite things about yoga (the weird breathing, yoga noises [saying cheesy phrases or chanting], and the "meditation" or rest at the end of the session) and also my most favorite (the feeling of "I DID IT!" or accomplishment).  Although it was super hard, I'm really excited to go back again tomorrow, this time with a towel!  I am also vowing to try Bikram before my Groupon's deal runs out!



No comments:

Post a Comment