Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mean

I remember sitting in the doctor's office with my stepmother in fifth grade.  I cannot remember why I was at the doctor, but he had just weighed me and I was sitting in silence while the paper on the bench crinkled and crackled beneath me.  While the doctor was away, my stepmother used the moment to say, "Wow, Jessie, you weigh 100 pounds?  That's how much I weighed in college." 

This is a memory that has stuck with me since that day, it is the first time I remember thinking about my weight and being embarrassed because of it.  It's also an example of the extremely toxic relationship I had with my stepmother. 

I'm sorry if you don't like Taylor Swift, but this song really resonates with me at this stage in my life.  Things are looking up for me and they have ever since I left home.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment