For my birthday, I received Suffering Succotash, a book about picky eaters. I've been a picky eater my whole life, so it's an interesting read. Actually, I wouldn't call myself a picky eater anymore because my eating habits have changed a lot over the last four years. If you know me now and disagree, trust me I was WAY worse. Yes, I avoid all foods that contain mayonnaise (or "Miracle Whip" because it's the same thing to me!), but my food horizons have become much more broad. In fact, I enjoy trying new foods and have become a wine fanatic!
Last night, I went out to dinner with my boyfriend to Back Bistro, a wine bar in Folsom. My boyfriend made all of the plans, which is nice because I like taking a break from planning and making decisions (plus, it's romantic!). Anyway, we walk in while being greeted by the host. While being scolded for not making reservations for a half-empty restaurant on a Saturday night, we are told that we could only sit at the bar, but we're later seated at a two-top. We ordered a Chardonnay flight, Hawaiian Ahi Poke, Baby Arugula Salad, and the Gnocchi. In case you're wondering, the restaurant remained half empty.
First of all, this is the most sophisticated meal we have ever ordered on our own (we have NEVER purchased wine at a restaurant, let alone a beer- we typically try weird mixed drinks that we've never heard of!). When looking at the menu, I was a little nervous. I have never really been a fan of Tuna, but decided I would re-try Poke, telling myself that the worst case scenario would be that my boyfriend would eat the majority of the appetizer. Well, I was pleasantly surprised when the dish came out and I LOVED IT! The rest of our meal was delicious, also!
This boring story of what I ate last night is brought to you by the age-old claim (brought up by my parents many times throughout my childhood) that your tastebuds change over time. I always thought, "oh that's a load of bologna, I'll always hate green beans!" and actually, I still do. How do I explain this change in taste for Tuna? As a stubborn individual, I hate to admit when my parents have been right throughout my childhood, but is this yet another instance of their infinite wisdom?
I'm definitely successful with resolution #2... it's almost TOO easy!
No comments:
Post a Comment