When I'm out in public, say at a restaurant or at the grocery store, I think about people's feelings a lot. It happens the most when I'm mad or dissatisfied with something and I usually think, "well geez, maybe they're having a crappy day and if I say something rude or mean it might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back and they might just go off and kill themselves later." That is SO crazy and I don't mean to sound so egotistical, but there are so many stories now of people being bullied and everything else; what if the person that spilled the drink on me (hypothetical) really is on the brink of a breakdown and a smile from me keeps it at bay?
Think about all of the negative interactions you have daily... Do they change anything about your life or those around you in a positive way? Are they worth it?
I recently read this article about the traits that likable people have. While what I wrote above doesn't seem like it would align with this article, think about the people you like or care about. Usually they do not hold grudges (out loud!), say mean things, and they probably treat everyone with kindness whether they deserve it or not. If we were all walking around the world like we had nothing to prove, then wouldn't we all be likeable? Or happy?
I'm not 100% sure what sparked this post, but it is something that I think about quite often, especially when I regret interactions that I've had with people throughout the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment